For permanent SAP jobs in the US, hiring managers typically opt to employ US citizens or SAP Consultants who already possess the right to live and work in the US. This is because it is largely more simplistic and normally carries a lower cost to complete a hire. However, similar to obtaining a visa in Europe, the company may be willing to assist you in getting a visa if you are top of their list. For SAP Contract roles, there is also the option to apply for a H1-B visa. See our post on Visa information for Contract roles.

Immigrating for Permanent SAP Jobs in The US

There are many different types of immigrant visas available to people wanting to relocate permanently to the US. The visas are typically known as ‘green cards’ and give you the right to live and work in the US on a permanent basis. In general, to be eligible to apply for a green card, you must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen who is a family member, your spouse or a prospective employer. In the case of permanent SAP jobs, obviously the sponsorship must come from an employer. You should file for an ‘employment visa’. However before filing for the visa, you must also obtain an approved petition from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The US Company must file Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker on your behalf. After the petition is approved by USCIS, it is forwarded to the National Visa Centre (NVC) for processing. The NVC will inform you of your next steps by providing you with details of what paperwork you will need to supply with your application and what fees are payable. Then you can apply for a green card through Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence).

Application preference categories in the US

Approximately 140,000 employment-based green cards are issued every year.  Applications are divided into 5 groups of preference. The second tier (E2) is relevant to most SAP Consultants, although junior SAP consultants will be positioned in the third tier (E3.) E2 – Professionals Holding Advanced Degrees & Persons of Exceptional Ability The job you apply for must require a Master’s Degree or a Bachelor’s Degree + at least 5 years’ experience in the field. You will need to produce an official academic record showing that you have a Master’s Degree or its equivalent (Bachelor’s Degree + a letter from your former employer/s proving 5 years’ post degree experience in the specific field of the job you are going to do in the US.) E3 – Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Unskilled Workers (Other Workers) You will apply as a professional worker. You must have a bachelor’s degree relevant to the job you are immigrating for and the job itself must demand a bachelor’s degree. You should apply as a professional worker if you are a junior SAP consultant (with less than 5 years’ experience.) You will be required to provide evidence of your job offer and an official academic record. Whilst the eligibility requirements for this category are lower than in E2, there is a substantially longer processing time on E3 applications.

This is a general summary and not legal advice. I recommend that you attain complete and up to date information from the Immigration Service or Embassy in your home country before making any work and travel plans.For more information on getting permanent residence in the US, you can also contact the U.S. Department of State.

Have a look at current SAP Jobs and get in touch with Whitehall Resources – an SAP agency with unrivalled success.