Whitehall Resources are currently recruiting for a Java Developer for a 6 month contract based remotely and in Essex.
The Developer is responsible for the design, documentation, code and testing of complex program components, scripts or package configuration in line with agreed specifications; responsible for delivering complex components, including correction and iteration to agreed standards and process to meet or exceed client expectation. The Developer will work proactively and collaboratively with team members, particularly when working within scrum teams using agile working methodologies, and during requirements, specification and coding review sessions. They will also provide third-line support to live application support team to enable fast and efficient Problem resolution. Provides support to test and platform teams to ensure the successful delivery of complex solutions.
The Developer provides hands-on technical expertise and takes responsibility for delivering robust and resilient solutions built using proven software development techniques. They provide leadership and direction for the development activities, delivered with sufficient quality to underpin outstanding new solutions for users. The Developer will make important technical decisions during the development phases and drive selection of the team’s development approach. The Developer will work closely with Solutions Architects, Product Managers, Service Managers, Business Analysts, Scrum Masters and the development team throughout the duration of development.
Typical Aspects of this role include, but are not limited to the following:
– Analyses business requirements, business processes, and technical architectures. Designs and uses them as the basis for the Software Engineering solution.
– Defines and analyses Software Engineering methods and advises on best fit solutions and techniques.
– Develops and applies expertise in Software Engineering Tools, Software Engineering Environment configuration and management, and Software Engineering Data Management.
– Keeps up to date with trends, roadmaps and developments in all areas of Software Engineering.
– Contributes to/develops good practice in Software Engineering techniques.
– Applies productivity improvement techniques within the Software Architecture strategy.
– Develops expertise in verification and validation at all stages of the delivery lifecycle.
– Work with Senior Service Manager, Product Owner/Manager and Solution Architects to build, deploy and support solutions that meet well-defined user needs.
– Identify technical options and inform architectural approaches, collaborating with team members to write tests, code and documentation for new and existing systems.
– Work with platform teams to collaboratively drive improvements across the engagement.
– Work with Solutions Architects to design and implement seamless integration with internal and external systems.
– Ensure new and updated solutions are thoroughly tested for performance and are able to handle specified load.
– Ensure systems are robust, scalable and secure, with appropriate overall system design and integration points in order to deliver a high-quality user experience.
– Provide mentorship for members of the development team (Developers, Test Engineers, etc.) and feedback on staff performance.
– Build a culture of continuous service improvement, ensuring that key systems are regularly analysed, maintained and improved.
– Empowering the team to innovate and increase efficiencies without the fear of failure.
– Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly develop strong working relationships in high pressure environments.
– Collaborate with Solutions Architects, Test Engineers and Developers to build up a robust automated test suite, if required, to work in a continuous integration and continuous deployment environment.
– Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with technical and non-technical team members in the wider teams across engagements.
– Ensure or advise if the team are capable of providing the required level of support for the system to ensure its availability.
– Providing ‘second-line’ support and occasional ‘on-call’ support as required.
– Monitor services in production to ensure any potential issues are identified early and resolved reducing the impact on end users.
– Actively working with communities to build a culture of inclusion and innovation.
– Provide direction to technical knowledge sharing activities to ensure skills are kept up to date across the centre.
– Peer review experience.
– Development Subject Matter Expert (SME)
– Ability to work on a wide range of development projects and methodologies.
– Extensive experience and working knowledge of project development methods and associated tools and techniques (technical delivery).
– Has excellent understanding and comprehensive knowledge of at least one technology environment.
– Understands and actively contributes to the project delivery approach.
– Broad knowledge across multiple technology areas
– Able to develop innovations and sell the benefit to management and client
– Develops new processes and methods
– Ensures documentation methods are appropriate and cost effective
– Experienced in own area and shares experience with others
– Experience leading a multi discipline delivery teams including developers and tester, providing technical guidance and setting overall development direction.
– Demonstrable experience in functional programming and back-end software development.
– Excellent understanding of technologies & protocols.
– Experience developing and using APIs.
– Demonstrable experience of automated testing solutions
– Experience building or collaborating on open source solutions
– Experience working on technical projects within an agile team
– A proven ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
– Demonstrable understanding of security best practices and security application design.
– Excellent demonstrable knowledge of relational and non-relational database systems
– J2SE 8 or 11, Java, Java microservices, Java Sprint Framework, Spring Boot, AWS, MYSQL/Oracle DB, code quality tools
– Must have strong Java knowledge & experience in J2SE 8 or 11 with at least 3 years’ experience.
– Must have proven Java knowledge & experience in Java microservices specifically, Java Spring Framework and Spring Boot 2 (2 Years + strong experience).
– Will have worked on Hybrid cloud based solutions utilising AWS.
– Experience of developing using Java 8 or 11 + Spring Boot 2
– Experience in MySQL/Oracle DB
– Experience in Jira, Confluence
– Experience in a Test-Driven Development, BDD and Pair Programming
– Experience of using code quality tools like PMD and Checkstyle
– Sun Certified Java Programmer
– Experience of Agile SAFe
– Strong experience working in a Scrum team assisting the BA and Solution architect and taking an active role in defining, developing and validating epics and user stories.
All of our opportunities require that applicants are eligible to work in the specified country/location, unless otherwise stated in the job description.