Whitehall Resources are currently looking for a Solaris Engineer located in Sheffield for an initial 6 Month Contract.
General Job Requirements
The role of the Technical Specialist – Unix / Linux Platform Engineering is to provide global technical leadership in the design, engineering, implementation and maintenance of the Solaris 10 and Solaris 11 platform and associated tooling, infrastructure and storage. Its purpose and vision are to engineer, define, automate and govern efficient and innovative Unix and Linux platforms and infrastructure in support of the global businesses, through collaboration and driving standardisation of technology platforms and solutions.
The area also performs level 3 support for the domain and the candidate would need to be well versed in standard troubleshooting techniques with a deep technical understanding of all Solaris 10 and 11 platforms that support the business.
Principal Accountabilities: Key activities and decision making areas
– Regular and timely production of monthly patch sets
– Review, packaging and testing of patches for critical vulnerabilities
– Development and maintenance of the Solaris deployment mechanism
– Set global Solaris standards, test and certify in lab facility
– Working with vendors, produce best practice solutions for the domain
– Provide consultancy, guidance and collaborate with architecture, projects, support and other engineering teams
– 3rd Line support to all regional Unix and Linux teams
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
– Extensive experience and proven track record in Unix/Linux engineering for the Solaris platform
– Thorough understanding of the management processes required to run large multi-country IT installations
– Analytical with the ability to understand and resolve complex problems
– Excellent shell scripting ability with good programming skills (Python, Perl)
– Ability to work in a multi country, culturally diverse and time-zone separated role
– Good communications skills and ability to communicate at all levels of the organization
All of our opportunities require that applicants are eligible to work in the specified country/location, unless otherwise stated in the job description.